Essential Italian Spice Set
Italian regional cuisine is know for its emphasis on simple, high quality raw ingredients served in dishes that exalt the basics. Heavy spicing is uncommon. Still, certain regional spices are emblematic of the local cuisine and territory.
This set of six iconic Italian spices allows you to take a regionally focused voyage from the peninsula's alpine north to its southern seacoast without leaving your kitchen. Included are:
- Chamomile: Whole dried Chamomile flowers from the Alto Adige can be used for tea or to make panna cotta or ice cream.
- Ground Nutmeg: A classic in spinach ravioli, egg pastas and cream sauces. It's also wonderful with whipped cream or coffee.
- Fennel Pollen: A Tuscan regional favorite that pairs nicely with tuna and pork dishes, or seasonal roasted vegetables.
- Rosemary: A favorite in Lazio. Toss it into meat dishes, dressings, or sprinkle atop roasted potatoes or fish.
- Ground Myrtle: Dried and ground, aromatic Myrtle leaf from Sardinia is wonderful on meats and in dishes featuring mushrooms.
- Anise Seeds: A Calabrian staple, and a traditional ingredient in sausages with peppers, salami, and biscotti.
A lovely gift for the cook or anyone who is interested in the cuisine of Italy!