Spiced Wine Poached Pears
- 4 oz. (1/2 jar) Potlicker Spiced Wine Jelly
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 lb. firm pears
- In a medium lidded saucepan, cut a round of parchment paper large enough to cover the bottom of the pan. It does not need to be perfect but it does need at least one hole in the center. This parchment, when placed over the top of the simmering pears, will keep the sauce from boiling over the top of the pan and instead, help it bubble over the fruit. The small hole allows enough moisture to evaporate and encourages the liquid to reduce to a sauce.
- Peel and halve the pears.
- Melt jelly and water together in a medium pan. Add prepared pears and turn the heat to low. Cover with parchment and simmer 1 hour.
- To be sure that the liquid covers the fruit, gently roll and baste the pears from time to time.
- After an hour, the pears should be tender enough to pierce with a fork. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the fruit.
- Gently scoop the pears to a serving dish and pour simmered wine sauce over the top.