Vanilla Sugar Crusted Scones
- 1 Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup (or less) whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Position an oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into a bowl; discard the bean. Combine the flour, baking powder, 1/3 cup sugar and the salt in a food processor container and process for 10 seconds.
- Add equal amounts of the butter in three stages to dry ingredients and process for 6 to 8 seconds per addition; the dough should have a slightly coarse texture. Place the dough in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Add the egg, vanilla extract, 3/4 cup of cream and the vanilla seeds. Stir with a fork 10 to 14 times while turning the bowl. Knead 5 or 6 times; the dough should hold together. Add enough of the remaining cream to reach the desired consistency if the dough does not hold together or seems dry.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar on a work surface. Turn the dough onto the sugar work surface and knead gently so the dough holds together. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Divide the dough into two discs 1-inch thick and 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Cut into wedges. Place the scones on the prepared pans. Brush with the butter. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.