Roasted Game Hens with Herbes de Provence Butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Fleur de Sel
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon INDIA TREE Herbes de Provence
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- ground black INDIA TREE Tellicherry Peppercorns
- 2 Cornish game hens, about 1 1/4 lbs. each, split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1 cup Riesling or Gewurtztraminer
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. On a cutting board chop the garlic with 1/2 teaspoon of Fleur de Sel until the garlic becomes a paste. Transfer to a small bowl and add 4 tablespoons of the butter, the Herbes de Provence, orange zest, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Mash until well mixed. Loosen the skin on the hens. Using your fingers, spread the butter mixture under the skin of each hen half. Sprinkle the hens on both sides with more Fleur de Sel and ground pepper.
- Heat a 12-inch oven proof skillet over high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of butter and the oil. Add the game hens, skin side down, nestling them all in the pan. Let cook until nicely browned, about 5 to 7 minutes, and turn. Transfer to the oven and let roast 25-30 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reads 170 degrees F. when inserted into the inside of the thigh muscle. Remove hens from the skillet to plates and cover to keep warm. Place the skillet over medium-high heat and add the shallots to the skillet. Cook, stirring until shallots are softened, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until the sauce is well seasoned. Spoon over the game hens and serve.