Carrot Cake Jam Hand Pies
- 1 batch fool-proof pie dough (try our recipe below)
- 1 egg
- 1 jar Potlicker Carrot Cake Jam
Directions:For Pie Dough:
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup ice water
Pat the dough out, sprinkling with flour. Press, pat, fold and flour this sticky mix. Fold in half and repeat the process until it becomes a smooth dough. Finally roll the dough out to 1/4" thick. Use a 4" round biscuit cutter to form the circles needed for the hand pies.
For Hand Pies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Begin by whisking the egg for the egg wash. Then, spoon 1 Tablespoon of jam into the center of the dough circle. Use a brush or your fingertips and coat the edges of the dough with egg. Pinch together the edges creating a seam and roll the seam on itself, sealing the pie. Alternately, use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges. Brush the tops and seams of the pastry with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake the pies in the oven for 12 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving as the ham center will be very hot!