Spicy Skillet Cornbread
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Bees Knees Spicy Honey
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Put skillet on a medium hot burner and heat to sizzling.
- Place a fine mesh colander into a large bowl and add dry ingredients.
- Gently tap the colander over the bowl to sift the dry ingredients (a whisk will create the same effect if you don't have a mesh colander).
- Whisk the egg, buttermilk and Bees Knees in a separate bowl and add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix until just combined.
- Drop the butter in the skillet and as soon as it's melted add the batter. Let it cook on the stove for exactly two minutes. This gives you a beautifully crunchy crust.
- Toss the entire skillet into the over for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Drizzle with additional Bees Knees Spicy Honey if you want more spice!