Spiced Lemon-Sultana Linzer Cookies with Caraway, Crystalized Honey & Saffron
- 6.5 oz. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 oz. white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 oz. finely ground de-skinned, unsalted almonds
- 5 oz. plain flour
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cracked caraway seeds
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2-3 oz. flaked almonds, toasted
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4-6 oz. Le Bon Magot Lemon-Sultana Marmalata
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Put the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until light and airy. Add the egg, a little bit at a time, and continue to mix until combined. Add the vanilla, orange and lemon. Sift the flour, any ground spices and salt together. Add the flour mixture, ground almonds and whole spices (if any). Use a wooden spoon and then your hands to mix until dough is formed.
- Wet your hands and pull off walnut-size pieces of dough, weighing less than 1 oz. each, and roll them into 1.25 inch balls. Divide these between two large parchment-lined trays, spaced well apart; you should end up with about 28 balls.
- Press your thumb into the middle of each to make a 2 cm-wide dimple. Bake the biscuits for 20 minutes, until they have started to turn golden-brown. As the cookies rise, you may find that your need to remove them from the oven after 10 minutes, to re-press the indentations.
- Spoon the Lemon-Sultana Marmalata into the holes while the cookies are still hot. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving. Some jams may need heating before spooning into holes.