Basic Golden Chicken Stock
- 4 pounds of chicken wings
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 whole garlic head, halved horizontally
- Handful of flat leaf parsley
- Handful of fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 TBSP black peppercorns
- Kosher salt to taste (optional)
Directions:This is a good, clean stock that will add depth and complexity to any soup, stew, braise or risotto. The salt here is optional; you may wish to adjust the saltiness more precisely according to the recipe you use the stock in.
- Place all the ingredients in a large stock pot and cover with 4 quarts (or more to cover) of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Turn the heat down and check the pot frequently until you achieve a slow simmer, with small bubbles popping up at a steady rate.
- Keep the pot partially covered, and cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. You do not need to skim it.
- Cool slightly, then pour the stock through a fine-meshed strainer into a heat proof bowl or pot and cool completely. Alternatively, you can strain it through a colander first and then cheesecloth or the fine-meshed strainer.
- Gently remove the layer of fat off the cooled stock, then pour into containers suitable for freezing. Label each container as Unsalted Chicken Stock, and date it; stock will keep frozen up to three months and refrigerated up to five days.