Marcella Hazan's Tomato & Anchovy Sauce for Pasta
- 1 tsp. garlic chopped very fine
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 flat anchovy fillets
- 1 1/2 cups canned imported Italian plum tomatoes, cut up, with their juice
- Black Pepper, ground fresh from the mill
- 1 pound pasta
- 2 TBSP. chopped parsley
- Put water in a saucepan, and bring it to a lively simmer.
- Put the garlic and oil in a sauté pan or another saucepan, turn the heat on to medium, and cook and stir the garlic until it becomes colored a very pale gold.
- Place the pan with the garlic and oil over the saucepan of simmering water, double-boiler fashion. Add the chopped anchovies, stirring and mashing them against the sides of the pan with the back of a wooden spoon until they begin to dissolve into a paste. Return the pan with the anchovies to the burner over medium heat and cook for half a minute or less, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes, salt, and a few grinding of pepper, and adjust heat so that the sauce cooks at a gentle, but steady simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the oil floats free from the tomatoes. Stir from time to time.
- Toss cooked drained pasta with the entire contents of the saucepan, turning the strands so that they are thoroughly coated. Add the chopped parsley, toss once more, and serve immediately.