Louisiana Red Bean Gumbo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sausage (any variety of fresh sausage)
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen okra, spinach, swiss chard or turnip greens
- 2 cups cooked chicken or duck, cut in pieces
Directions:Preparing the beans:
- Rinse, drain and pick over.
- Place in a bowl with 8 cups water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature or, for a "quick soak", boil for 10 minutes and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain beans and place in a 4 quart pot with 8 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or more.
- Brown sausage in oil over medium heat in an 8 quart pot.
- Drain excess fat.
- Add seasoning packet and stir about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and drained beans.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 45 minutes, covered.
- Add rice, greens and chicken.
- Simmer 1 hour, covered.