This umami-forward dressing will put you in mind of a Caesar salad, but it can be used on any greens, or spooned over grilled fish or veggies.
- 5 anchovy fillets
- 1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1 shallot peeled quartered
- Put the anchovies, vinegar, salt, pepper, and mustard into a blender or food processor. Bend for about 30 seconds, until dressing emulsifies. Taste and and add more vinegar a teaspoonful at a time, to get an acidic balance that tastes good to you.
- Add the shallot and pulse a few times until it is minced within the dressing.
- Dress just before serving. Dressing will keep, refrigerated, for up to a week.