Tomatoes with Peaches, Grapes, Feta and Oregano
| 4 Servings
Choose multi-coloured tomatoes, as well as yellow or white-fleshed peaches, and purple, black or green grapes. Dice the fruit so that they are all roughly uniform in size, and be sure to taste and dress the salad accordingly. Use soft goat's cheese, if you prefer, although Roquefort or mozzarella would also work beautifully. The sweet juicy fruits flattering the salty cheese and black olives is crucial for the balance in this recipe.
- 4 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/2 small red onion or 1 shallot very thinly sliced
- 2 peaches stoned and diced into 3/4 - 1-1/4 in pieces
- 1-1/2 lb mixed colored tomatoes diced into 3/4 - 1-1/4
- 7 ounce red grapes halved
- 1/2 small bunch of oregano or marjoram with leaves picked
- 1-3/4 ounce crumbled feta
- 1-3/4 ounce kalamata olives pitted and roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl mix together the oil and vinegar and add the onion, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Put to one side to macerate for 10 minutes.
- Put the peaches, tomatoes and grapes into a large serving bowl.
- Add the oregano or marjoram, the feta and the olives and spoon over the dressing. Serve immediately.
Recipe excerpted with permission from Tomato by Claire Thomson, photos by Sam Folan, published by Quadrille Publishing, July 2022