Roasted Apples with Honey
| 4 Servings
Select firm apples that are slightly tangy, such as Pippin, Golden Delicious or Chantecler. Honeycomb or a full-flavored honey from a specialty food shop works best here.
- 6 medium apples or 10 small apples
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter plus extra for the dish
- 3 tablespoon lightly salted butter
- 1 3/4 ounce honeycomb or 5 heaping tablespoons flavorful honey
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter an appropriately sized ovenproof dish.
- Using a small, pointed knife, score the skin of each apple in a spiral around its entire circumference.
- Arrange the apples in the dish. Dot the two types of butter evenly around the dish. Dice the honeycomb and divide the cubes evenly among the apples.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, drizzling the apples from time to time with the juices in the pan.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Adapted from Apples: Sixty Classic and Innovative Recipes for Nature's Most Sublime Fruit by Christophe Adam (Rizzoli).