Spaghetti alla Nicolina
- 6 medium zucchini, cut sideways about 1/8" thick
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- Some loose chunks of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 package Rustichella d'Abruzzo Spaghetti
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil until very hot. Add the sliced zucchini and carefully spread them out evenly into the pan. Once the pan heats up, lower the flame and let the zucchini caramelize well, about 4-5 minutes. Do not touch or stir, just let them brown on one side. They will not be evenly browned. Turn the flame off, add the chunks of cheese and let the pan sit while the pasta cooks.
- Boil the past in abundant salted water for 12 minutes. Drain and toss directly into the pan with the zucchini. Toss over a high flame and mix well. Pour the pasta into a warm serving bowl and sprinkle with lots of grated cheese and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Please note: The amount of zucchini to pasta is rather insignificant, but because the zucchini have been cooked so slowly, the oil has been infused with the sweet, caramelized flavor of the vegetables. Along with the nuttiness of the cheese, the combination is incredibly appetizing. Also, the pasta is literally swimming in olive oil, which will settle at the bottom of the bowl.