- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 9 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons light rum
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 jar La Salamandra Dulce de Leche
- In a bowl or on a large clean surface, place the flour and make a well in the middle. In the well, place 1 whole egg, 8 egg yolks, the rum, the water, 4 tablespoons of the sugar and the butter. Gently mix together the wet ingredients while slowly incorporating the flour from around the edge of your well. Slowly blend until a smooth dough is formed and set aside, covered with plastic wrap, for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 to 10 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball and set aside. Working with one at a time, roll each ball into a disc of about 10 inches. They'll need to be equal size, so the cake stacks evenly.
- Place the discs on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees until well-browned and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. You may have to work in batches, depending on the size of your oven. Set aside each disc until completely cool.
- When you are ready to serve the Rogel, beat 4 of the reserved egg whites on high speed until beginning to whiten. Slowly add 8 tablespoons of sugar while the mixer is running, beat to stiff peaks and get ready to assemble.
- Place a dollop of dulce de leche on the bottom disc of pastry and begin stacking. (There should be quite a bit of dulce de leche on each disc.) When complete, surround the entire cake with meringue. If you have a kitchen torch, torch the meringue to a crispy golden-brown and serve.