Chipotle Grilled Steak Tacos
- 1 jar Frontera Chipotle Salsa
- 2 medium white onions, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 pounds trimmed beef skirt steak
- Fresh lime wedges, for serving
- 12 fresh, warm tortillas
- Put 1/4 cup of the salsa, 1/4 of the onion, the garlic, lime juice, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a blender and process to a smooth puree. Place the skirt steak in a zippered bag. Add the lime juice mixture. Close the bag and shake to coat the steak. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- Heat a gas grill to medium-high or light a charcoal fire. Either turn the burner(s) in the center of the grill to medium-low or bank the coals to the sides of the grill for indirect cooking. Brush or spray the remaining onion slices with vegetable oil and grill, turning carefully until softened and browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Remove the steak from the marinade. Oil the steak well on both sides, and lay it over the hottest part of the grill. Grill, turning once, until richly browned and done to your liking, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let steak rest on a cutting board for a few minutes. Then cut steak into thin strips across the grain. Mix with the grilled onions and season with a little salt. Serve with the remaining salsa, lime wedges and hot tortillas, for making into soft tacos.