Golden Squash Bisque
- 2 acorn squash, peeled and quartered (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups (or more) organic chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, warmed
- 1/2 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Orange Extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the squash in a covered baking dish with the water. Bake for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté until golden brown. Whisk in the flour until blended. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken stock gradually, whisking constantly. Add the squash, salt and white pepper. Mash with a potato masher. Add the bay leaf and sage leaves. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaf and sage leaves. Spoon the squash mixture in a blender. Add the warm cream a little at a time, puréeing for each addition. Add the orange extract. Pour into the saucepan and reheat thoroughly. If the bisque is too thick, you may change the consistency by adding additional stock 1/4 cup at a time.