Croxetti with Marinated Heirloom Tomatoes
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
- 3/4 cup torn fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons Sicilian salt-packed capers, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound Croxetti, cooked until al dente
- Heat garlic in oil in a saucepan over low heat until pale gold, about 10 minutes. Strain; reserve oil and garlic. Let cool.
- Combine tomatoes, 1/4 cup basil, capers, lemon zest, red-pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Pour garlic oil and chips over tomato mixture. Marinate, covered, tossing occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Add warm pasta to bowl, and toss gently. Top with remaining 1/2 cup basil. Season with pepper. Sprinkle with lemon zest.