- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 lb. smoked or Polish sausage, cut to bite size rounds
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 17.6 oz. package Traditional French Sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Turkish bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Melt butter in a heavy stockpot or Dutch oven. Add sausage and cook over medium heat until browned, turning once.
- Add water, sauerkraut, onion, garlic, caraway seed, cloves, nutmeg and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream and flour. Gradually stir about one cup of the hot soup mixture into the sour cream mixture. Return all to the Dutch oven. Blend well and heat through, being careful not to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.